In a few days from now, we will kiss 2014 goodbye and usher in 2015. When I think of the year 2014, a lot of very negative and controversial stories come to mind. I don’t know if it is just me, but the year seemed to have far more of those type of stories than normal. The news was constantly filled with bad and disturbing stories ranging from the brutal behavior of ISIS to the transgressions of Russia. Here in the United States, high-profile events surrounding police shootings and killing of unarmed men dominated the news. Politics had it normal share of controversies and stories. A person could not even turn to the sports to get any relief to all the controversy. Multiple stories of domestic abuse by NFL players dominated the sports headlines. However, the end of 2014 saw a ray of hope, gas prices went down dramatically and the economy seems to be finally picking up steam after one of the slowest post recession recoveries ever. So all was not bad last year. What will 2015 bring? Sadly, I can see more of the same; even more controversial and negative news. The following are just a few of many things that I would like to see happen in the new year.
1) Gas prices- I would love to see gas prices remain nearly 2 bucks a gallon for the whole year and possibly go lower. The chances of this happening are probably slim, but hey, even 2.50 a gallon does not sound bad after paying 3.50 last year. The lower gas prices are just what this struggling economy needed and furthermore, help bail out the awful economic policies of a few political leaders.
2) The Super Bowl- It would be great to have Peyton Manning back in the Super Bowl for one another shot at a title, however, I would like to see the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl. Why not? To see a long time struggling franchise like them win the title would be wonderful. By the way, I am not a Lions fan, just a fan of underdog teams.
3) The police- 2014 was certainly not a great year to be a white police officer in this country. There were many stories of police brutality and several protests around the country. I still stand steadfast in my support for our police, they do a tremendous job in most cases. It would great to see a high-profile story of a white police officer saving the life of a young black teenager. Actually many do everyday but those stories get ignored. I would like the race baiting media in this country to reflect more on these type of feel good stories.
4) Gay athletes- In the upcoming year, can we just get rid of all the drama concerning some athlete coming out? As a sports fan, I could care less if some athlete, is gay, bisexual or straight. Their sexual preference is totally not important to me. I just want someone who can play. Are you listening, ESPN?
5) Better leadership in Washington- Good leaders are willing to unite, bring people together and compromise. I don’t see a whole lot of that going on in Washington. The last year was filled with bickering, stalemates and just typical fighting between both parties. Perhaps the new Congress will be this different this year, but don’t hold your breath. The Republicans have a golden opportunity to show that they can govern, will they capitalize on this opportunity?
6) NFL rule change- The NFL seriously needs to look at how the playoffs are structured. A team that wins it division should not be an automatic to host a playoff game. The top 6 teams record wise in each conference should qualify for the post-season and the seedings are based on records. The top 2 teams record wise should get byes. No more of these teams with losing records who make the playoffs just because they win their divisions.
7) Smart phones- Every year, we always see an upgrade on what some of these phones can do. I always see commercials describing how this phone or that phone can now take some of the best pictures possible. Well that is great, but can someone make a smart phone with a super battery that does not have to be recharged every day? If they are going to upgrade all these little features, at least upgrade the battery. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a phone that requires limited charging? I have one of the best, but I am constantly charging my phone.
Those are just a few things that I would like to see in 2015. I wish everyone the best of luck in the New Year and may 2015 be the best year of your life.