So what are your New Year’s resolutions? That question gets ask more at this time of the year besides “How was your Christmas?” Whether we like to admit it or not, everyone probably has some resolution that they would like to tackle in the upcoming year. A very common resolution is to give up smoking, a great one if you ask me!! Others want to lose weight or go to the gym more often. The sad thing about resolutions is they are commonly broken by about March. A classic example is someone who, at the beginning of the year, signs up at a local gym. They are all pumped up to start working out and get in shape. Come March, that desire is suddenly gone; it becomes tougher and tougher to get to the gym and those excuses start coming up. Believe me, I see it at my local gym every year. January is usually the busiest month but after a few months, those newbies are suddenly no-shows and the club becomes less filled with people.
I have to admit that I did not fulfill all of my resolutions from last year but I did make keep a few. One of my resolutions was to cut out a lot of sugar in my diet and I did succeed in doing that. I did not eliminate sugar completely out of my diet but just cut back on the quantities. It was not an easy thing to do; some of my co-workers like to bring in pastry goodies and I had to turn down their offers many times. By cutting back, I feel much better and have more energy. I really notice it when I workout. Another resolution that I kept was the number of blogs that I wanted to write in the year. My goal was to post 100 entries and I have succeeded in doing that. I hope to write as many this year depending on my schedule. Well anyways, that was last year and this is a new year with more goals to achieve. The following are just a few goals that I have my eyes set on for the upcoming year.
1. Save 1000 dollars. I have a 401k plan at work but I am striving on saving more of my money in the upcoming year for 2 reason. First of all, I want to travel to a warm weather destination next winter for a week. I cannot deal with this sub-zero crap!! I need to escape to someplace warm and have fun in the sun. The second reason is that I am looking at buying a new home. I will definitely need to start saving more if that dream become a reality.
2. Go to more new release movies. This a very common resolution that I always break. If I have time to go to a ball game, I certainly have time to go to a great new movie. My area has a fancy movie theater so it would be a great experience. I enjoy movies a lot but I never seem to fit them into my schedule. During our family gathering at Christmas, someone asked me what was the last great movie that you saw. I could not answer the question!!
3. Read more. I read the newspaper, stories off the internet on my smartphone and computer but sitting down and reading a book? It has been about 4 years since I last read a good book. I am kind of a history buff and also love inspirational books. Of course I like sports books as well.
4. Perform more random acts of kindness. I would like to donate more money to charities this year. Not only giving money but just doing simple things for people. It makes me feel good inside when I can help others out and make their day and I would like to do more of it in the upcoming year.
5. Mediate for at least 30 minutes a day. Everyone should do this everyday. Shut off the television and computer, turn off the smartphone and just sit down and relax. My schedule tends to be very busy at times and I just need to take a time out to relax and unwind more often.
I hope everyone has had a good year in 2013 and may 2014 be the best year of your life.