If you are a huge sports fan like myself, chances are you probably have those teams which you hate with all of your guts!! Well I am being a bit extreme but seeing those hated teams struggle really brings joy to your heart. A loss by those teams brings about as much happiness as seeing your favorite teams win. Your eyes sparkle with happiness when you scroll your smart phone for scores and see those hated teams getting the crap beat out of them. I have many teams that I simply dislike for a variety of reasons. Many times it just the fans of that city that turn me off. Or it could be a player or players. A lot of times, fans are turned off by a team’s coach or owner. Quite often, it is just a matter of jealously; you are envious of the team’s success. I have several teams both at the college and pro level who I love to root against. I find a watching a game more interesting when those teams are playing. The opponents suddenly become my newest favorite team! The following is a list of pro teams that I really enjoy see getting beat. I will do a blog on college teams someday but for now, we are talking about the guys who play for a living.
1. L.A. Lakers- I have never been a fan of Kobe Bryant so the player association is why I dislike this team. The fact that many smug Hollywood stars attend their games is another reason. The team is way too glitzy for me. About the only thing I like about the team is their colors. It delights me that the Clippers have now taken over the town as the new king of the city.
2. Green Bay Packers- A huge border rival of my favorite NFL team the Minnesota Vikings. Many fans of the Packers live and work here in the Twin Cities since Wisconsin is next door. I get sick and tired of hearing those fans of the Pack talk about how they have won all these Super Bowls and the Vikings have won zero. They really like to rub it in!! Believe it or not, the Packers are the second favorite pro sports team here in the Twin Cities and also the most hated. Quite a contrast!!
3. Chicago Bears- See number 2. Many of the same reasons apply to the Bears. We have many annoying Bears fans in this area as well. So who do you root for Mark, when those two teams play each other? The Bears have a very small edge but a lot depends on the standings.
4. Dallas Mavericks- I find myself disliking teams with overly zealous owners. Mark Cuban fits that mode. I don’t personally hate the guy but he seems to be over the top in his criticism of referees and his constant whining at court side. Dirk Nowitzki kind of turns me off also with his whining. In his mind, he has never committed a foul in his career!!
5. Dallas Cowboys- Sorry Dallas, I don’t like your football team either. The reason? Once again the owner, Jerry Jones. Another overzealous, mega-rich owner.
6. Boston Red Sox- Pssst, I am a closet Yankees fan. Thou shall not root for the Red Sox if you claim to be a Yankee’s fan.
7. New England Patriots- Not really a fan of either Tom Brady or Bill Belichick. But a lot of it boils down to jealously; the Patriots have just been too good for too long.
8. Chicago White Sox- They are a division rival of my favorite MLB team, the Twins. The broadcast team of the White Sox are the biggest bunch of homers, pardon the pun, in major league baseball. Those guys act like a couple of rube fans in the broadcast booth even going a bit over the top at times. Another example of how overzealous personal turns me against a team.
9. Atlanta Braves- I used to be a Braves fan until the 1991 World Series against my Twins. Several actions by the Braves fans really turned me against the franchise and the feelings have not gone away.
10. Montreal Canadians- I had to throw in a hockey team for good measure. My dislike for that franchise goes back many years during my childhood. Once again, the jealously factor is probably why I don’t like this team. I guess any American NHL fan probably has a tough time rooting for any NHL team from Canada especially when they might arguably be Canada’s team.
No offense to the fans of those teams but I simply do not like your squads and please do not buy me a jersey of any of those teams for Christmas! I may use it for an oil rag.